Borderless360 (B360) is seeking an energetic and dedicated person to map, build and execute the technical architecture of its digital platform. The ideal candidate will have professional experience in online solutions, in particular, platform planning and development across multiple initiatives within a single organisational structure. The person must have a passion for supporting refugee populations, an ethical approach, and a dedication to social justice, an interest in learning, and creative problem solving skills. B360 works as a team of independently driven people and expects the Platform Developer to maintain excellent teamwork and communication skills, while being independently motivated with a strong work ethic.
B360 is a diverse and growing group of people from across many countries and cultures, bringing a broad spectrum of experiences and perspectives to a common vision. Our work puts us in close and spirited collaboration with grassroots change-makers, academics, and many others, but we also have in our midst engineers, educators, horticulturalists and even origami artists, all of whom are putting their hearts and minds to helping B360 develop more comprehensive and holistic approaches to one of the most complex and devastating humanitarian and human rights issues of our time; refugees and forcible displacement.
True to B360’s ethos of borderlessness, we believe that our strength lies in our ability to celebrate and integrate our differences. We are united, however, through our recognition of the deep injustices that drive and perpetuate forced displacement, along with the hope that we might all see its resolution in this lifetime.
B360 has currently two main projects in its portfolio:
The Unheard Project
The Unheard Project is an initiative of B360 that consists of two parallel efforts designed to showcase the creative contributions of refugees to broader society: the Journalism Initiative and the Music Initiative. The Journalism Initiative produces a semi-annual literary magazine featuring writing and art by refugees that focuses on amplifying and developing the work of refugee journalists. The Music Initiative develops and maintains a dynamic music library, where visitors are welcome to stream music of all types all from refugee communities.
The Inclusive Education Initiative
The B360 Inclusive Education Initiative will pilot a progressive new education model for refugees and hosting community members in Thailand, through an approach that supports access and scholarship for those disadvantaged, while presenting a holistic educational approach based in community. It will increase access to education for disadvantaged young people while growing positive relationships between refugee and host country youth, helping to decrease xenophobia and misunderstanding as a critical step towards advancing progressive change.
B360 is registered in Singapore as a company and is working towards becoming a full-fledged social enterprise. It is also in the process of registering a Foundation in Thailand.
The Platform Developer reports to the B360 Co-Heads.
POSITION DETAILS AND HOW TO APPLY
|Position title||B360 Platform Developer|
|Work Location||Singapore or remotely based in the ASEAN region|
|Hours||Negotiable and dependent on needs – between 24-40 hours per week, as an Independent Contractor|
|Length of role||Initial contract of six months with potential for renewal, subject to funding and performance. A three-month probationary period will apply.|
|Applications close||Applications close at midnight Singapore time, 16th March 2022|
Start date is asap.
|How to apply||Please send your application in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Application: B360_Digital_Social_Media_Specialist”.|
The application should include:A CV not more than three pagesA cover letter of not more than two pages Contact details for three refereesTwo examples of previous background research conducted
Please make sure these are saved in one document and the title of the document is:Application_ B360_Digital_Media_Specialist (Your full name).
The Platform Developer provides support to B360 and carries out tasks in accordance with the B360 Code of Conduct and all other rules and regulations applicable to team members.
The primary responsibility of the Platform Developer is to oversee all aspects of platform development for B360. This includes working together with the Co-Leads, project teams, and external actors in the development and execution of a cohesive and comprehensive digital platform. The individual must be experienced with developing innovative solutions and work around limited budgets.
While we have a vision for how the product should evolve over the long-term, we want to be rigorous in how we translate that vision into concrete plans over the short and medium-term. In this role you’ll collaborate closely with various key people at Borderless360 to map and build the technical architecture of our product.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have familiarity with CMS. You understand how parts of a CMS fit together—from the content editing to the data model to the view. Experience with Headless CMSes is a plus.
- Be thoughtful in problem-solving. For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates.
- Be pragmatic and business-oriented. You care about the business impact of what you’re building, and you prioritize projects accordingly. You’re not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Not be ideological about technology. To you, technologies and programming languages are about trade-offs. You may be opinionated, but you’re not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Maintain empathetic communication. You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you’re explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In Borderless360 JD 2 disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Be a team player. You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
Duties and responsibilities include
- Represent B360 as required.
- Development and execution of a comprehensive and cohesive digital platform
- User development: ensure ease and clarity of use for effective outreach to and engagement with target audiences
- Monitoring and evaluation: Measure the impact and effectiveness of the digital platform, developing regular analytical reports about successes and challenges
- Keep up-to-date with emerging trends and developments in the digital and social media engagement space, especially in regards to work with disadvantaged populations.
- Ensure all reasonable steps are taken and tools are integrated towards security and confidentiality for at risk populations accessing and utilising the digital platform.
- Represent B360 as required.
Work with the B360 Co-Head(s) to identify and collaborate with potential influencers to increase brand visibility.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Bachelor’s degree and or technical training, preferably in engineering, coding or other specialised web development courses; with an interest in communications, journalism, social sciences, humanities or a similar subject. Degrees in Human Rights, refugee studies, or directly relevant fields will also be considered if accompanied with the relevant developer experience digital and social media engagement experience.
- Minimum five years of work experience in platform development or another relevant field preferably with a socially-responsible enterprise or non-governmental organisation.
- Outstanding skills in communications, a demonstrated understanding of content management and platform development.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of digital engagement strategies.
- Experience with digital analytics and other social media tools for efficient management of digital interactions.
- Proven experience with UI/UX will be an added bonus.
- Ability to maintain good relations with colleagues, contributors, partners, and other stakeholders
- Able to work proactively and supportively within a team
A strong track record of planning and executing successful projects to deadline
- A sense of empathy, humility and passion for supporting marginalised communities
- Fluent in oral and written English
B360 is aiming to fill the vacancy with the best possible applicant, even where that applicant may not precisely fulfil all experiential qualifiers listed in this announcement, or where the applicant may demonstrate similar transferable skills. The role will require good humour, patience, optimism, and consensus building skill, as well as a willingness to learn and grow into the role. Understanding of the work and history of B360 is an asset.